The first funeral establishment in New Liskeard Ontario was founded by a Mr. Thomas Henry Nickle in 1896.
After his retirement in 1908, a Mr. O. J. Thorpe and Mr. Joe Blanchard opened the Thorpe Bros. Furniture and Funeral Services. on Whitewood Ave. and were the first in Northern Ontario to have a motorized hearse. They also had furniture and funeral home branches in Haileybury and Kirkland Lake, Ontario.
Mr. Arthur Perrin worked for the Thorpe Brothers as their Manager, Licensed Embalmer and Undertaker (as seen in the ad below)
until 1923 at which time Mr. Thorpe sold the New Liskeard branch to Arthur and a Mr. R. R. Woods and the business was moved to a new facility at 10 Armstrong Street now Ambers Gift and Flower Shop.
Following Arthur's untimely death in 1925, his brother Edward Clayton Perrin who was born in Smiths Falls, Ontario in 1899 and had received his Embalmers Certificate of Qualification on September 2nd, 1924, and had come north with his family and took over the business. Clayton had established himself in New Liskeard and raised his family here. Clayton passed away in New Liskeard on January 3, 2001 at the age of 101 years.
Clayton's son Donald Perrin who was born and raised in New Liskeard, followed in his father's foot steps and became a licensed funeral director on the 26th of September, 1954. He worked with his father and eventually took over the running of the business until his death in 1983 at the age of 53.
Over the course of those years, the Perrin Funeral Chapel had moved it's location from Armstrong St. to it's present address at 128 Whitewood Ave.. Following Don's death, his daughter Lyanne who was also born in New Liskeard, became involved in the business and eventually took over complete ownership after her mothers death on September 8th of 2004.
For more information please contact us.